Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Secret Sense of Wildflower

Speaking of book trailers... Here's one I came across that I think works pretty well. It's for North Carolina author Susan Gabriel's latest novel, The Secret Sense of Wildflower, and features still photographs, quiet background music, and a voice over (I presume, the author). What makes this trailer interesting to me is that it also includes reviews at the end -- this is the first time I've seen that on a book trailer, and I think it helps persuade the viewer that this might be a good book to check out. What do you think?

3 comments:

Marianne Wheelaghan said...

It certainly works because after watching the trailer I know this is not my kind of book ;o) Joking aside, I think it's interesting that there are no moving pictures in this trailer, nevertheless, it is actually rather engaging. The narrator is very easy to listen to, maybe that's why it works? But I can't stand the "hotel" music. It makes me think of spas and old biology films I used to watch at school. However, this kind of background music may appeal to Susan Gabriel's target audience. Interesting. We are hoping to put out trailer together this week in readiness for the launch next week – a tad late, but hey ho :)

Louisa said...

I'm wondering if the author had to choose music that didn't have a copyright? That would be something interesting to find out -- how writers select music for trailers. What has been your experience putting one together, Marianne? Thanks for your feedback!

Marianne Wheelaghan said...

Copyright is an issue. That's a good point. There is a great website called archive.org and you can find all kinds of copyright free things from books to music. We are using some sound clips found on archive.org for the trailer for Food of Ghosts, which will hopefully be ready soon. My experience of putting it together, so far, is that is way harder than it looks ;o) The Secret Sense trailer is so professional, I really think they did a good job :)